Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I know - it's only rock and roll, but I don't like it.

We had a bit of shaking and quaking today. There I was, sitting in my office, minding my own business, and then it all started moving. And kept moving. And kept moving.

It wasn't violent but it was definitely a good shaking. I couldn't decide whether it was better to crawl under my massive Mission-style desk or to crouch beside it. If the roof caved in, I might not be found if I were under the desk. But if I were beside it, I wouldn't have the protection of the desk.

I chose to crouch beside the desk. But at the same time, I reached my inordinately tiny hands up and onto my keyboard to IM my boss "we're having a hyuge quake." "I might get out of here."

She was simultaneously IMing me, asking me if I could feel it (actually testing to see if she was at the epicenter. She wasn't. Far from it.)

I hate sending typos, even in IMs.

At 5.2, the quake wasn't as huge as I'd interpreted. In the end, I didn't get out of there.

Cell phone service was dead. I didn't reach K for hours. But he was able to get to the house and confirm that all was well, including the kitten. Thank you. I'm so glad the brick fireplace and chimney are gone. More about that in a later post.

While looking through the news stories later, I found the following of interest. All were taken from Yahoo News Photos.



These are bricks from an unoccupied building in Pomona. This could have been the result of our former fireplace. Ouch!

Yahoo describes this as - Traffic flows through downtown Los Angeles after a 5.4 magnitude earthquake struck

Traffic flows? Really? Well, if it takes a quake, it takes quake . . .

The text that accompanied this photo was - A dog walks through a coned-off portion of the street as a leaking water main is worked on at the intersection of City Terrace Drive and Eastern Avenue in East Los Angeles.

Now here's one thing of many that I love about Los Angeles, more chihuahuas per square inch than any other city in the U.S. So, if you love chihuahuas, this is the place for you. But why is this little dog wandering around alone? That part disturbs me.

Yahoo News described this photo as -
People have lunch in a plaza in downtown Los Angeles after a 5.4 magnitude earthquake struck at 11:42 am local time, July 29, 2008.

OK, here's another thing I love about LA - when there's a picture to be taken, nothing seems to faze us. Unless of course rain is in the forecast. In that case, to hear the news pros tell it, all hell is about to break loose.



With this photo, we're told - A customer is turned away from a Macy's store in the Canoga Park area of Los Angeles which had to be closed when broken water pipes caused flooding July 29, 2008, following a magnitude 5.4 earthquake in Southern California centered in the Chino Hills area

I'm sorry, but the fact that there is a HUGE PILE OF RUBBLE beside the store is not enough to deter her compulsive shopping?

I love LA.

7 comments:

Jayne said...

Glad you guys--and the kitten--are all okay.

Why S? said...

Thank you, Jayne. We were all fortunate with this one.

casacaudill said...

Glad you're doing well. People here in SF were freaking out b/c the media was reporting it being apocalyptic down there. I hear the news across the country keeps showing that same store in Pomona with all the bricks - makes for good coverage.

goddessof4 said...

I guess we would fit in LA we have a long haired Chihuahua named Lola!!! Glad you guys are all well!!!

Fred said...

So glad you guys are ok. Everyone looks so... peaceful. You wouldn't guess an earthquake had just taken place. I guess that's life in Cali.

Why S? said...

Thanks to you all for your good wishes. Fred, your observation is spot on. The news media will turn anything into a story - even people having lunch and then try to pass it off as news. I thought that picture was a hoot. And yes, CasaCaudill, everytime that Pomona footage was run I just rolled my eyes. I guess they could either run with the bricks or the people having lunch.

Goddess of 4, you would totally fit in. But Lola would have to go with you everywhere, riding in a handbag. And wearing a glitzy sweater.

NV said...

Glad all's well out west. Wondered about the coastal contingent. I'd just emerged from a meeting about 10 minutes after it hit, and in initial reports, it sounded like LA was leveled! :-)