Thursday, July 24, 2008

Someday, I might just cook something

I've been a bit tardy in reporting on this past weekend's accomplishments. For one thing, the new refrigerator was delivered. Delivery was promised two weeks ago and postponed two weeks in a row. Apparently, there's been a nationwide shortage of left-hinge refrigerators. And though I'd feared a Laurel and Hardy's Music Box* calamity coming up our 17 steps, all went well. Two nice (and strong) young men hauled our new Whirlpool without incident.

What a beauty! - all black and shiny and the glass shelves untouched by the gooey bottoms of ketchup bottles.

Bye bye old almond colored fridge. You performed admirably for 16 years,




. . . unlike your predecessor who gave us only about 4 years of service. Stupid loser former fridge. Just because we kept you in storage for 2 years while we went off to live in Germany, that was no reason to conk out on us when we needed you most.

But before you shed a tear for our faithful old refrigerator, let me tell you that she is NOT going to a landfill or a used appliance reseller. Oh no! She is destined for a glamorous life in the theatre. She will live out her remaining days in The Arts District where K and his crew work hard bringing arts to the people. Brava, Almond! Brava!

And, in other kitchen news, K has been installing the first of the kitchen cabinets. Some uppers -


Some lowers -



And very, very soon, I'll no longer need to keep my few "kept out" dishes in the oven -




More appliances to come next weekend.

* This scene from The Music Box is well worth watching.



This Oscar-winning 1932 classic short was filmed only a few blocks from our house. In fact, on an evening stroll just this last weekend, K and I stopped at the the bottom of these steps for the first time and saw the plaque commemorating the site.
I'm just glad this wasn't the fate of the new fridge.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I just saw this the other night. I can't even remember how many times they started all over again with that piano! LOL!

Laurel & Hardy were my absolute favorites.

Jayne said...

I have to admit that I'm not a big Laurel & Hardy fan, but I've watched "Music Box" several times and it's hilarious!! By the way, love the cat's pose in the cabinet photo. How can anyone possibly work on a house without the help of a cat?!