Friday, July 18, 2008

Pottery Barn has reached inside my brain!

. . . and I don’t like it. I don’t like it one bit. I’m supposed to be the one stealing ideas from Pottery Barn, not the other way around. But today, I opened up the daily diet of catalogs and what do I see but this . . .



This so-called “Edison chandelier” was my idea for lighting my dining room. I didn’t want a fixed centered lighting fixture. I wanted something more flexible to accommodate the expansions and collapses of the table that will seat anywhere from 6 to 12. So, I thought, why not go with the rustic quality suggested by the cow creamers and just hang bare bulbs at various spots around the room, but radiating from a center point that may or may not center over the table? The bulbs can be moved closer or farther from the center, depending on the size of the table that day.

Now, everyone will think I copied from Pottery Barn. I want to go on record here and say I didn’t. I was here first. I admit, it’s not a truly original idea. One sees similar arrangements in restaurant patios all the time. But as a home fixture, it’s not yet overdone.

And I’m thinking, at $399 from PB, not likely to be overdone in the home anytime soon, either.

But I just wanted to go on record.

4 comments:

NV said...

Great minds -- or maybe it's warped minds -- think alike. :-)

Why S? said...

Thanks. I only wish my mind were the only thing warped in this house.

Jayne said...

It looks sorta spider-y....

Why S? said...

Thanks, Jayne, for putting that thought in my head. Now I'll be really creeped out if I do this thing. (but actually, mine will be much less symetrical - and theoretically, less spider-y.)