except, you know, with the glass front doors and moulding. But more about the moulding later.
I wish I had pictures of this room from before The Destruction. But, there was really nothing to photograph. Before we moved in it was just another room with white painted paneling, Listerine green carpet, broken louvered windows with security bars on the outside and an air conditioning unit stuck into the louvered windows with a piece of plywood holding in the a/c's lower half.
Yeah, it was something to look at.
Then, we took it apart. The door to the living room used to be way over to the side
With the old window gone, we had a view to the great outdoors -
we also created a view to the living room -
And the light shelf. Remember the light shelf?
Here's a start -
After installing rope lights (not florescents as had been threatened) K put up moulding -
Finally, to give Billy that built-in look, K had to build him up with a little moulding at the base -
Now, K had to cannibalize a third unlucky Billy just to get the shelf that would straddle the window space. But first he had to create a way to hang the shelf, as it would have no natural support (the width of the window was greater than the width of Billy)
At last! we were ready to unpack our precious books that had been in storage for 6 1/2 years:
And here we are, theatre books on the left -
The weirdly fortuitous thing is that that Billy's width exactly matched the wall space available on both sides of the window.
She seems to like it -
(update: I should have included in the original post that we don't have the luxury of having a room solely devoted to books. This was house's original and only bedroom and it now holds the only closet - the door is between the CDs and the armoire. So really, in addition to storing books, it also serves as a dressing room and with the desk, an alternative office space, alternative to the office space upstairs.)