Sunday, March 9, 2008

What's a Light Shelf? (and the usefulness of American Bungalow)


K's pal, M, came up with an idea for this bi-level ceiling idea in the future library. When K described it to me, I had no idea what he was talking about and I couldn't in any way envision it. Then, the plan cost K an extra day of work to frame and I decided that from now on, M should keep his ideas to himself.


Hard to see where it's going but here is the freshly drywalled bi-level ceiling light shelf thing.




Apparently, (because K wants to keep the ceilings free from fixtures as much as possible) the whole idea is to cleverly hide lighting fixtures in a shelf around the edges of the ceiling and provide indirect lighting. He plans to install fluorescents and I'm hoping this won't be as annoying as it sounds.



Then, while flipping through old issues of American Bungalow, there I saw it! On page 82 in Issue 53, Spring 2007 of American Bungalow there are pictures of this thing called a light shelf, exactly as K had described it but as I had failed to comprehend. Teri Sue Wolf, the author of the article, describes it as "cantilevered shelves that project from walls and project indirect light on ceilings." According to the author, Frank Lloyd Wright made use of them in his Prairie and Usonian homes.



OK, we'll see how it works out. M may be allowed to make more suggestions after all.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I think it's going to look great! I love ceiling detail.