Saturday, March 8, 2008

There Will Be Walls!

A lot has happened in the past two weeks.

First, the framing passed inspection.


Then , a big stack of drywall was delivered. I think it was 75 - 8 foot sheets.


Then, the big stack of insulation was stuffed into the appropriate places.

Then there were walls! Or at least there were the beginnings of walls.

And then last Thursday there was another successful inspection. Apparently all the drywall screws were lined up properly, or whatever it is they look for.

And today there was taping and mudding !



K thinks we may be done have about 5 or 6 more days of this, then we’ll be ready to move on to the really fun stuff.

If you read a lot of house blogs, you may be thinking to yourself, "there’s something missing here. I’ve learned nothing about the process of this work." I confess. I’m really not good at describing the details of construction. I hope you’re not looking here for any how-to tips. There are plenty of other house blogs for that. If you’re looking to me for construction tips, you’ve got a lot more to worry about that you even know.

K does all the work. In the case of the drywall components, he brought in some nice hardworking men to help him. The framing he did himself. What I do? I think. I shop. I watch a lot of HGTV. Those paint colors won’t select themselves and K has better things to do than drive all over town for the best selection of outlet covers.

But while I don’t know about construction, thanks to our friends at Wikipedia, I now know more than I should about the history of drywall:
"The name drywall derives from its replacement of the lath-and-plaster wall-building method, in which wet plaster was spread over small, wooden formers. In 1916, the United States Gypsum Company invented a 4' x 8'ft sheet of gypsum pressed between sheets of extremely strong paper, which they called "Sheetrock." Despite extensive use at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933–34, it was generally seen as an inferior alternative to lath-and-plaster, and was not quickly adopted. It was adopted during World War II, when the war effort made labor expensive. It was reintroduced in 1952, impelled by the migration to the suburbs of the 1950s and by the cheaper construction methods associated with its use.[2]"

Huh! My house was already seven years old before drywall was even invented!

If you need practical information, you can check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

But still, I think if you’re consulting Wikipedia for construction information, maybe you should hire a professional.

For today’s presidential portrait, let’s honor Woodrow Wilson. The years of his term introduced both drywall and the federal income tax. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.


No comments: