Sunday, April 19, 2009

When Trees Grow in Bad Places

Sometimes trees grow in the wrong places. Like in my front yard, the eastern side is completely crowded with trees while the western side has none.


Or none that really count.


But on the eastern half there’s this huge ficus on the parkway.


That's a city planted tree. We had it professionally pruned once. And then three months later the city decided they would prune it too. Now we’re afraid to spend the money to have it pruned again. But it is way out of control and it only took couple of months after its second trimming to get that way.

In the yard we have the Japanese persimmon tree.



It took me months to figure out the foul, garbage-y smell that seemed to emanate from my neighbor’s yard. How I cursed our former neighbor. Oops. It was the fruiting persimmon tree. K loves a good persimmon. Too bad the squirrels love them too. And the squirrels are home more often to collect the fruit in its prime. So K seldom enjoys a nice, ripe persimmon.

I don’t know what that tree behind the persimmon is called. I call it a stick tree. It stands in the neighbor’s yard and drops green sticks all over our roof.

There’s the Australian tree fern that I myself planted before I knew better.

And then there’s my neighbor’s pomegranate tree and the split leaf philodendron. These plants creep over the fence and mingle with my own trees. It’s like a rainforest around here.

But the real standout is the huge Norfolk Pine tree that somebody planted smack in the middle of one tiny half of my tiny, tiny yard.





Really, this tree has no business growing on this parcel. I think it started out as a transplanted Christmas tree. Since we’ve owned the house it’s probably grown another third in height and blocks any sunlight that might make it past the ficus to one of the other trees.



We used to have a view of downtown from our front porch.


But we haven't seen that view in years now.

As crowded as it is out there, we haven’t the heart to cut down any of them. As a result we enjoy a fairly cool house, even in the summer and without air conditioning, at least on the eastern side of the house.

But there’s no doubt, that tree is growing in a really bad place.

But not as bad as this fir tree, as reported by the The Sun UK with text and graphics thieved here:


A PATIENT who had surgery to remove a suspected tumour was told: You had a FIR TREE in your lung.
Medics are convinced Artyom Sidorkin, 28, inhaled a seed which sprouted inside him.
And after opening him up, they found what they described as a perfectly-formed 2in spruce sapling.







Artyom sought medical help after having agonising chest pains and coughing up blood.
An X-ray showed what looked like a cancerous tumour — and he was wheeled into the theatre at Izhevsk hospital in the Urals region of Russia.
Surgeon Vladimir Kamashev, who performed the operation, said: “I thought I was hallucinating.





“I told my assistant, ‘Come and see this — we’ve got a fir tree here.’ He nodded in shock.
“I blinked three times, sure I was seeing things.”
Artyom, now recovering after the op, said: “To be honest I did not feel any foreign object inside me.
“But I’m just so relieved it’s not cancer.”



Whoa. That tree grew in a really bad place.

Don't you love that delightful illustration of the sapling's journey?

See the actual story here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2377228.ece?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Good grief! A lung is indeed a bad place for a tree to grow! (I liked the graphic of the seed's journey, too.)

Natasha said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog.

Wow, a tree in a lung. That's insane!

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take out a tree. It's hard, but the results can be worth it. When we bought our current house, there was a very large magnolia that had been allowed to grow right in front of the gate into the back yard. What the heck were they thinking?

Home in Cambridge said...

That is just nuts! Your mother was right when she warned you about swallowing all those things I guess. Who would have thunk it?

Liz