Friday, March 13, 2009

Party 'til the Cows Come Home

And they have (come home). As the unpacking continues, last week I was able to get to the cows. And since Julia over at Hooked on Houses is having a Friday "What Are You Hooked On?" Party, I thought I’d let the cows join the party.

For anyone new to The House on Red Hill, I’m hooked on cow creamers. We buy one (or two) whenever we go on a trip. Or K buys one for me whenever he goes on a trip, and with his work he’s been on a lot of trips. So we have a lot of cows. 38 as I’ve just learned.

Before the cows went up, K had to build a couple of shelves.

We originally bought shelves from Ikea but the color was all wrong. Too pale. We thought they would work with the butcher block. Wrong. So K tried staining them. That didn’t work out and now they’re not returnable. Oh well. But shelves he built are perfect.

So the cows are unpacked and have finally come home. First I rounded them up on the counter . . .

And let them have a good stretch after being boxed up for six years . . .

Then everyone got a dose of Quake Hold on each hoof . . .


Then up they went. . .


It took me three evenings. That's a lot of Quake Hold.

There are black & white cows . . .


And a brown cow with a pink twin sister. . .


There are brown and cream cows with pink flowers painted on them . . .

There’s a whole set of cows with windmills painted on their sides. . .

Here’s an anomaly. She doesn’t hold cream. . .

Instead, she carries a set of salt and pepper shakers.

Here are my two tiniest cows, under the protective watch of big Mother Moose (or maybe that's Auntie Elk. I'm not up on all my North American ungulates) . . .

Before I can show off pictures of the completed kitchen there’s one tiny detail that needs to be completed. But it’s close. It’s all so very, very close.

So while you’re waiting, head over to Hooked on Houses and see what everyone else is hooked on.

11 comments:

philben5 said...

Mercy oh me you have a few creamers. Love the blue one. Thanks for sharing!
Blessings
Roxanne

maya | springtree road said...

moo!

(actually, my sister has informed me that cows don't say 'moo,' they actually say 'mer.')

love the cows!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am visiting via H.O.H. Great post!

I hope you'll stop by for a visit, I am hosting a giveaway.

newlyweds said...

Oh my I had no clue of what you meant when you said you buy cow creamers! Seriously I have never seen one before, they are just too cute!

DesignTies said...

Your cow creamer collection is adorable :-) My sister-in-law collects brown cows -- she has a LOT of brown cows!!!!

Let me know what colour you decide to paint your door :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Jayne said...

Love the cow creamers! I have one. (Just one.) It's a small, plain white one that I bought at the gift shop of Paula Deen's restaurant, The Lady & Sons, in Savannah, Georgia. I collect Fenton eggs, though...I think I might blog about them!

NV said...

LOVE 'em!

I used to collect all things cow, having one day planned to do a black and white cow kitchen. But after years of collecting and realizing that such a theme wouldn't work at This D*mn House, I gave almost all of it away.

Why S? said...

Thanks for visiting everyone.

Kelly - only brown cows? That's exclusive. I would love to see pictures one day. And yes, I'll keep everyone updated on the door.

Jayne - I started with just a plain, white cow. That's all I had for years and then I had two, and then . . . here we are. All I'm saying is - be careful.

NV - I'm not sure the cows work with the theme of my house but I could never bear to give them away. So I'll made the house work for them.

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW... that is quite a collection of cow creamers... that earthquake putty is perfect!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Your shelves look great, and I love your cows! How fun! :-)

modernemama said...

French cows say meuh (with a pronounced shrug of the shoulders). That sounds like "mer", so maybe your sister is French? Dutch cows say boeh which is pronounced boo!