Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shooting Lions in The Park

What's with all the lions around Echo Park and Silver Lake? In my strolls around my home, I've noticed that there are an awful lot of lions around. They seem to guard houses of all sorts, from the porch of this Victorian:


to this daycare provider:


The kiddies there should feel well-protected. They are actually guarded by this batta-lion:






Here's a close-up:



Doesn't he look sincere? And vigilant? He would never have allowed this to happen.

This stubby pair will need to grow into their posts. They're almost like lions-in-training:


And this one, though emaciated,


is ready to defend to the death the driveway gate he guards. I think he could use a few more carbs.

These guys guard the side of a house, for when chain-link just isn't enough:

And if wrought iron and security bars aren't enough, there's always this guy:




I couldn't capture them all but this home had no fewer than a dozen lions throughout the yard:




Including this one, guarding from above:

This guy is always ready for the holidays:



The next two shots are the same home, protected both from without their fence and from within:











and as if that weren't enough, they have this yard grotto for extra-strength protection:



When I first saw this guy, he wore what appeared to be a cheese grater on his head. To my great regret, I did not have my camera at the time:



I found 7 kings of beasts in this photo:

Do you see them all? Go ahead, click on the photo and count.

This next homeowner decided to color in the eyes of his lions. But it kind of creeps me out, like when I see Roman statues with the colored eyes:

and it makes me kind of sad:

Thanks, lions. Thanks for looking after the 'hood.

6 comments:

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

wow that's a lot of lions! :)

LBTudor said...

Hopefully this weekend I can get out to take a picture of our neighborhood Trophy house. Its a good one.

Do you ever look at http://www.lovelylisting.com/ its fantastic!

Why S? said...

Tina - I guess we just love our lions here.

LB - Can't wait to see the Trophy House. Have you seen the house of Davids on 3rd in Hancock Park? It's a classic. Not my turf but maybe I'll post it one day. And yes, I love that blog.

Ronnica said...

I've always wondered about lion statues!

Mona said...

These are a great ideas, I like gargoyles too.

Jenni said...

Personally, I think you should ornate your exterior with concrete cows, yanno just to be a bit different. ;)

I too have a small collection of cows. They are in a box. I had more, but they moved to a pasture at my aunts house.

Hope you are feeling better.