Sunday, February 15, 2009

What a Crock!

Did you ever have one of these?

I did. I had one exactly like this one.

My Mom gave it to me, back in the '80s. She thought I could prepare dinner before I left for work and I'd have a hot, healthful meal waiting for me when I got home.

I don't know how much my Mom recalls about my early years but I'm not a morning person. Never have been. It's really all I can manage to get fully dressed before leaving for work. Adding the preparation of a meal to my morning routine just is not going to happen. Sorry, Mom.

But I held on to the crock pot. For years. Then, just before our move we let it go. Probably donated it.

Well . . . six years later, K reads in a blog that a good way to remove paint from old fixtures is to soak them overnight in a crock pot. So the search is on for another crock pot. But they weren't to be found in any of the thrift stores. Hard times must have revived interest in pot cooking. But then, while on the prowl for a used desk, I saw it - in Out of the Closet - my favorite charity resale store. I paid $10 for the pot, the absolute genetically identical twin of the one we gave away, probably to Out of the Closet.

I guess we were just meant for each other.

2 comments:

Shane and Casey said...

Just throw the fixtures in a big pot of hot/boiling water for 30 minutes (throw in some dishwasher soap in it to speed it up a bit). No need to have it go all night. Take it out when the paint falls off easily

Why S? said...

Welcome Shane and/or Casey! I guess now I know. To think that crock pot came back into my life for nothing. Ha! It truly was meant to be.