Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's 4 am. Do I know where I am?

K cut the butcher block counter-tops today. We picked them up at Ikea this morning and then he cut.


But we got a late start. And we hadn't done our homework. While he cut, I went online to see how they should be treated. I remembered reading somewhere that the cut edges needed to be treated differently than the rest. Except, I couldn't remember where I read it or exactly what it said. The advice I finally found said the cut edges would need 4 coats of sealant. And each coat needs 4 hours in-between to dry. And the 3rd coat was due at 4 am. K said two coats would be enough. I insisted we follow the directions. He said, in that case, he would set an alarm and get up. I said, "don't be silly. I'll can do that much myself."

Except, I tend to ignore alarms. I hate being told what to do, especially by alarms. So I stayed up. Not too difficult. I had stuff to do - long neglected paperwork and paper organizing. And Borat was on HBO.

But now it's time to tend to my duty. And go to bed. K can do the 8 am coat.

Oh, and our fabulous plumber will be here at 9 complete the sink and dishwasher.

Yay! Progress!

7 comments:

Why S? said...

Please ignore any typos, such as "I'll can do . . . "

I normally try not to write like a lol cat.

Debateur said...

Kudos to you for staying up until 4:00. I think I would have set the alarm.

NV said...

That's awesome! I love when you can get something done, even when it poses a nice, quirky challenge. :-)

Why S? said...

Since it was a 4 day weekend for me, staying up wasn't that hard. If I had no obligations (job) I'd be up 'til 4 every night.

Jennifer said...

oh my... that's late. I think I would have left it for 8 hours between coats!

goddessof4 said...

I love the counters!!!! I want to eventually install wood on our counters !!!!

Jenny Kerr said...

Which ones did you get? I saw three wooden countertops listed on their site but it's hard to tell what scale they are from the tiny pictures. I would like something along the lines of what you've got there for our kitchen but I'm unsure which one is which.