The day came. It went. K worked late and returned home to find me cranky and overly-reflective. The clock is ticking in so many ways. How I would hate to come to the end of my days on this earth and never have been able to sit comfortably in my beautiful home that I'd spent so long planning and shopping for? How I would I hate to live out the rest of my life living in one cramped room like Soviet-era Muscovites. How I would hate for my tombstone to read "She never saw the end to the dust."
Can you tell I have a big birthday coming up? - a birthday that I had wanted to celebrate with a big party? - a big party IN MY OWN HOME WITH MY OWN STUFF THAT'S BEEN PACKED UP IN STORAGE FOR HOW LONG NOW?????????????
Forgive me, we old people get testy sometimes. Even bitter, if we spend too long in self-reflection.
It's best to keep the television on all the time. It saves us from reflecting on ourselves.
Ok, here's the list and what's left to be done (from my original post):
Installing the whole house fan - DONE
- Installing the new fireplace - DONE
- Building the fireplace facade - DONE
- Creating the new mantel
- Selecting and ordering tile for the fireplace facade - DONE (well, the selecting, not so much the ordering)
- Tiling the fireplace facade
- Installing the kitchen cabinets (delivered and patiently waiting in their boxes)
- Installing tile mural back splash behind the stove
- Buying the new stove (and the new dishwasher, the new refrigerator and the new range hood)
- Installing all of the above appliances
- Installing library/living room pocket doors (2) - DONE
- Installing kitchen/hallway pocket door (1) - DONE
- Installing closet door
- Finding and installing new front door (somewhere in here I'm sure there will be some stripping, sanding, sanding, sanding, staining involved)
- placing glass block in the upper window - DONE
- covering banister with veneers and moulding
- re-covering treads and risers
- Building bookcases
- Building window seat
- Buying and installing the new hardwood floors
Painting - mostly DONE
Hooking up door bell - DONE
I forgot to include in my original list the replacement of six windows. That's why I'm not put in charge of anything. Anyway, the windows were a big project that is now done.
From now on, no more deadlines. We want it done well, not just DONE.