Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin and the home mortgage crisis

I remember when I first became aware of George Carlin. He hosted the very first episode of Saturday Night Live. I don't remember his routine that night but he has fascinated me ever since. He was one of the funniest people of the 20th century and his scathing observations of our culture will be greatly missed.

What does George Carlin have to do with homes and the mortgage crisis? He had the nerve to point out (to me anyway) that a house is nothing more than a place to keep your stuff and that we materialistic Americans have way more stuff than we know what to do with. He showed us that we load ourselves down and surround ourselves with a lot of meaningless stuff and that it is all just a weight upon us.

And that is why so many of us are in trouble today. Because we bought bigger houses than we could really afford because we have so, so, so much stuff.

Thank you, George. I wish more of us had listened.

No comments: