Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fan Dance

Back when we had the walls all torn out, we made the decision to forgo central air. Cash was flowing out fast and furious in other directions and we thought we would see how it all worked out once we had insulation and decent windows. Plus I'm a little freaked out by duct work.

Compared to pre-insulation days, it doesn't get that hot in here now but it still tends to be a little humid, especially when you first come in from outside. Ceiling fans help, especially when you sit still, very still. But obviously, the more air movement the better. Another ceiling fan is out of the question.

During my bi-weekly stroll through Bed, Bath & Beyond yesterday, I spotted this little table top fan:

It's called the "Otto" by Stadler Form. Isn't it cute? Even though it's on the Modern side, I think it would feel right at home within my new woodsy, Craftsman-y walls (which you'll see soon. I promise.)

I love this little fan. Most fans are too hideous to keep around all the time. This one could stay.

Except it's $200. Doesn't that seem like a lot for a table top fan? It's lovely, but it's still just a fan with some wood wrapped around it instead of plastic.

I suppose if I consider the thousands I saved by not installing AC, I'd be way ahead of the game. And I do have a stack of those coupons . . .

4 comments:

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Nice. In my mind, I'd find a nice round fan with reasonably flat surfaces, scuff the paint a bit, and glue veneer to it. Same look, much lower cost.

Of course, it's never that easy.

Rachel said...

Have you checked out the Fargo or the Fitzgerald from Wind Deco. these Fans are super cute. I have one in my office and I LOVE IT!

Why S? said...

You're right, Christopher, it's never that easy. I had considered that option but I know it's not going to happen.

Rachel, I checked out the Wind Deco web site and those fans are super cute. In fact, I'd seen the Fargo style before and like it very much. But they're even more expensive! That wasn't the goal.

modernemama said...

That is beautiful, even if it is pricy, it earns a place as great design object as well as functioning fan