Sunday, November 15, 2009

CoolWall

I recently received an email from Costco hawking a product called “COOLWALL.” It’s an exterior paint that the manufacturer promises will keep your home cooler and never requires reapplication.

As removing the aluminum siding will be our big project for next year, this could be an interesting product. According to the web site, their dealers must do the application. OK, sounds expensive, but I like the idea that it will never have to be done again. If we go with this product, I just hope we’re happy with the color we choose.

I’m thinking of either Budding Bough or Essex Green -



Here’s their main selling point: “COOLWALL® is a patented, non-toxic, heat-reflective exterior coating that reflects the sun’s heat back into the atmosphere. This unique product reduces the outside wall temperature of your home up to 40ºF, helping your home stay cooler without overloading the air conditioning on even the hottest summer days.”

Interesting. As we’ve elected to forgo air conditioning, this could make a big difference in the months of July, August and September. I’m not sure about that part that claims “heat-reflective exterior coating that reflects the sun’s heat back into the atmosphere.” Is that what the planet needs, to have all this heat bounced back into the atmosphere? Yikes. Is that balanced out by the fact that I’m not eating up energy running an A/C unit? But, isn’t all that heat going back into the atmosphere anyway? Just because my house warms up, that doesn’t mean the planet is staying any cooler, does it? ‘Cause, my house is on the planet, so my house absorbing heat doesn’t take any off the planet, right? Ugh. My head hurts now. Al Gore, call me. I can’t work out this climate math on my own.

If you’ve ever heard of this product or known anyone who has tried it, let me know. I like the idea of only painting my house once but I don’t want to be the 2010 equivalent of those all those suckers that bought aluminum siding.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Since one idea to reduce global warming is to paint roofs white (which will also reflect light), this seems scientifically okay (assuming it works).

Why S? said...

Yes, I'd heard that about white roofs. It still doesn't add up for me though. But what do I know?

Debbie said...

I've never heard of it... I like the colors you picked out though!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Timothy said...

Did you decide on COOLWALL? Would love to hear what you think of it or the alternatives.

Why S? said...

Hi Timothy. We haven't decided yet. We've just completed the complete floor to ceiling renovation of the interior of our house. That was a 7 year project so we're taking a little break.

I had planned to re-do the exterior next summer but now the husband says we should consider finances. Mmm. I don't like the sound of that. Either way, I plan to get an estimate in January. We should at least know what costs to anticipate. But already, I'm scared.

erin said...

Did you guys ever decide on the Coolwall? We're seriously considering it, but we'd like to speak to someone who's done it before we pull the trigger.

Why S? said...

Hi Erin, thanks for visiting The Hill.

No, we haven't done it yet. Our plans for 2010 went far astray from where we thought when that post was written.

I now have no idea when it's going to happen. My husband started a new job which is good but he'll be busy in ways I can't anticipate and I have also launched a new venture that will keep me busy for many months more.

Late summer would be ideal. If not, look for summer 2011.

Why S? said...

Oops. I meant "summer 2012." We're already in 2011. Forgot!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's 2014. Anyone used the "Coolwall" yet. I see some frightening examples of non-performance but you never know if there were underlying issues causing it...