Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sage Advice

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." That's not me talking. That's the Mexican Sage in front of my house. I planted it about 4 years ago because it attracts hummingbirds. It grew. And grew and grew and grew. Out of control. But the hummingbirds like to sip from the flowers so who am I to complain?

But for all of this year, it didn't blossom at all, just grew taller with a lot of stalky leaves. So back in September, I decided I'd had enough of the leggy, overgrown plant and decided to trim it all back to the ground. Except I'd done some other trimming earlier in the day and when I'd only done about a third of the sage, I ran out of space in the yard waste bin. So I thought I'd finish up the next week.

By next week, the remaining plants were in full bloom. And the hummingbirds were feasting. Now what?



I'm not exactly in touch with Nature. I guess this plant blooms in the fall. Oops. So anyway, now I have a yard that is fronted with plants that are huge and over bearing on one end and low to the ground on the other end.

I've posted plenty of complaints about my neighborhood's less than felicitous features. It's now my turn to confess that my neighbors must think of me as the dorky homeowner with the annoying plants. "What doesn't she trim that thing back?" "Why did she trim some of them and not the others?" "When is she going to fix up her yard?"

But what about the hummingbirds? I can't deprive them now.

I guess we all have our reasons for why our homes are less than perfect. A lot of those reasons are perfectly logical but not always apparent.


1 comment:

NV said...

Wow. Who knew? It's awfully pretty though and I love hummingbirds. Our neighbor gets some each summer now. They're adorable.

I know what you're saying, too. My neighbors are probably relieved considering that, after last weekend, the only thing in the carport is, um, the CAR. :-)