Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day of the Dead - Parte Dos

On All Souls Day, K and I decided on a late afternoon visit to Olvera Street to check out the Day of the Dead action.

We took in the music and traditional dancing but I'm really there for the variety and creativity of the ofrendas installed in the plaza.

Olvera Street is a tourist destination and traditional observances in Mexico are becoming more touristy, but still, Dia de los Muertos is a sacred obligation in the culture. Therefore, as a tourist, respect is always in order. Keeping in mind that ofrendas represent real people, real lives and real death I just want to share the following:



Muertos woven from straw



Muerto piƱata





Fruit and Cactus - Mexican Yin and Yang



somebody enjoyed their Bud Light

Serenading Muertos




'til Death do us part.

Forget your perfect offering.

There is a crack in everything.

That's how the light gets in.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

That's what my ofrenda would look like--Bud Light, coffee or tea, and Oreos. :) I really liked the verse on the last one. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Why S? said...

Thanks, Jayne. I was stricken by the verse but didn't realize it was from a Leonard Cohen song until I googled it for this post. Here it is: http://www.webheights.net/essential/anthem.htm

Fred said...

Thanks for sharing... I too like the verse on the last one - kinda inspiring. Our children are from Guatemala and we regularly research/keep up on traditions that are often hybrids of Roman Catholic + native American traditions. I love the pictures which have elements from both.