Friday, August 27, 2010

I Should Clean Out that Closet

I couldn't resist the story under this headline -

Body of Las Vegas woman found in clutter at home

Read the story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100827/ap_on_re_us/us_lost_in_home

 This is the photograph that accompanied the story. (Thanks AP.) Note that horrid, barren Nevada landscape juxtaposed with the billboard hawking diamonds, the ultimate indulgence in luxury - but both nothing more than rocks.  Those two images in a story about a woman who was killed by the accumulation of her own possessions strikes me as incredibly ironic and way, way creepy.

The woman was missing for four months and she was in her home the whole time?

I'm the first to admit that I cannot resist those hoarder shows on cable.

I, too, hate throwing things away.

I, like the woman in the story, also compulsively shop at thrift stores almost every week. Last week I bought a book for a dollar. Once I bought a gravy boat. I don't make gravy but at Thanksgiving I buy soy gravy.  I might want a boat that's not the china one.

Once I bought a little creamer thing just because it was not in the shape of a cow and therefore could be used. But we don't really use cream. But for guests. We might use it for guests. It's a pleasing shade of green. 

I'm always tempted by martini glasses.  One can never have too many martini glasses.  I'm not really sure why I believe this, but I do.

Again, I wish I had more than that one closet.

But then again, maybe it's a good thing I don't have more than one closet. Something has to keep me in check.



 

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I am a pack rat by nature, but either give stuff away or eventually just throw it out. Those shows scare the bejeebers out of me! Of course, it is like a train wreck -- you can't help but watch. Thankfully they can help most of the people that have that issue.