Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Epiphany

If I'd traveled for 12 days by camel to visit you (bearing gifts) I'd expect you to leave the lights on for me.

It’s tempting to take down the holiday decorations right after New Year’s Day. Some like to begin dismantling on the 26th. I guess if you were organized enough to have gotten your lights up over the Thanksgiving weekend, you’re probably pretty sick of them by now.

Still, I believe the rule is, or should be, that the lights stay up and on through January 6th.

Last year I ranted about those who leave up the holiday decorations too long. This year I’m cranky about those who take them down too soon (as if I don’t have enough to be cranky about). As much as anyone, I’m tired of the shedding pine needles. The cards have ceased to flow in; the gifts have been unwrapped; the corks have been popped and now I’d like to get back to enjoying my home in its normal state.

Even the snake plant is weary of bearing her burdens.

For once, I want to put things away. But a civilized society must have rules. Once of those is that the trimmings stay up through Epiphany.

Do not dis’ the Magi. They will not want to be greeted by darkness.

If you're one of those who insist that the U.S. is a Christian nation, you had better leave your lights up until January 6th or admit your are living a lie.


Thank you illuminated inflatable Snowman for lighting the way for Melchior, Balthazar and Caspar on behalf of the good citizens of Kent Street. Just make sure to pack yourself away sometime tomorrow, the 7th.

4 comments:

Jayne said...

We just had this discussion at home! The cats broke the stand on the Christmas tree in the front parlor, but the one in the dining room stayed intact. My two little trees on the front porch and the wreath on the front door are still brightly lit. I noticed that the lights and the giant Christmas tree on our priest's front porch are still there, too.

Why S? said...

Jayne, it's obvious that your cats are heathens.

NV said...

SO glad we aren’t alone on this. When I was a kid, you didn’t THINK about putting the Christmas decorations away before Jan. 6. My grandmother would have had a barnload of cows if you did! This is a tradition the mother has kept alive and she started taking things down last night. (Any sooner and my sainted grandmother would be haunting us, I’m sure.)

I’m stunned by the sheer volume of “Christian” population who aren’t acquainted with Epiphany. I have to think that this is NOT just a Catholic thing.

Why S? said...

It shouldn't be a Catholic thing but I don't know. Today was the first day we've had a chance to start bringing down all the outdoor lights and the inside ornaments. Still not done. This is going to take forever.