Monday, January 19, 2009

So long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Good Bye!

At last, the day has come, the day we’ve awaited for eight long years. As Sinead O’Connor sings, "the last day of our acquaintance." Tomorrow will be the first inauguration of an unambiguously elected U.S. president in a generation. Never before have I seen such enthusiasm for a new president. Aside from the musical production on The Mall, I see the signs and banners hanging on homes in neighborhoods in all social strata. Everyday I hear it from people I talk to.

If we gain nothing else from the promises that have been made, at least we have regained a sense of hope that democracy can function and the voice of the people can be heard. We believe again that our process works. In that, despite all that has happened in the past eight years, the White House’s outgoing occupant is a fortunate man.

Charles I should have been so fortunate.

Louis XVI should have been so fortunate.

Nicholas II should have been so fortunate.

On my recent trip to London, at the Tate Modern I saw a display of Soviet-era propaganda posters. I was so taken with this one that I had to write down the translation:

Cleanse the Party of all class enemies and hostile elements,
degenerates, opportunists, double dealers,
careerists, self-seekers,
bureaucrats and morally decayed persons.

Not that I am inclined to give advice to that Other Party, but they might take a word of advice from their favorite arch nemesis.

I’m just saying, if the shoe fits . . .

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Hahahahaha!! I have one of those Bush Countdown Calendars and I can't tell you how happy I am that tomorrow is the last day on it!! I've never been so happy to buy a new calendar.

Jayne said...

Oh yeah, and as the saying goes around here..."Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!!"

Why S? said...

Jayne, what really pained me last night was that I could not find my Bush countdown keychain. In all the chaos of moving our stuff around during the renovation it went missing. But what really counts is that the day is here and The Decider is out! Hip, hip, hooray!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

I just got back from DC, and I have to say that the atmosphere there was full of far less hatred for the old administration than I would have expected.

The atmosphere was one of hope, hope for a better today and a better tomorrow.

Why S? said...

Christopher, we are already experiencing better days. Hallelujah. I have to confess that after I posted this post, I felt I might have been a bit too snarky in parts. But snarky is my natural humor and no one brought it out in me more that You Know Who. Maybe my snarky days are behind me now.