Monday, December 28, 2009

Good House, Bad Kitty

I’m still alive. Barely. I’ve absent from this blog and from blog reading and commenting for so long that one might think the laws of gravity had failed and I’d been flung from the face of the planet.

Not to fear. I’ve just been preoccupied. K and I hosted a birthday party for a friend’s 50th on December 19th. We entertained about 50 guests with peppermint martinis, cranberry margaritas and a slideshow starring the birthday boy. At just under 1100 square feet, we were really pleased with the layout of the house. Throughout the remodel we focused on maximizing the space for entertaining, with attention to traffic flow and to creating conversation areas. Except for the bathrooms and the guestroom upstairs, each room has two doors, encouraging guests to move freely through the house and limiting congestion. Even though the house is small, I think the layout really kept guests from feeling trapped or crowded in.

Planning the party was fun but nothing would come together if I even glimpsed at my blog or other blogs in the days leading up to the big event. Internet gets a grip on me.

Speaking of getting a grip on me, there was one thing that happened the week before the big party. The quick story is that a neighborhood cat thought she would have a peek into one our windows. The Kitten became enraged and I thought she was going to claw the wooden grill right off the newish window. She’s already done plenty of damage to the wood on the bedroom window. I should have given up after my first two attempts to distract our little demon. The third time she meant business. Before I knew it, I had 9 pounds of angry calico locked on my right forearm.

When I returned from the emergency room, she ran out to greet me with big eyes and meows. She never runs to greet me. I really do believe she came out to apologize. I don’t think she knows that her damage required stitches and a sling keeping my arm still while the wounds healed. I don’t think she knew that I had a lot of work to do for the party that was 6 days away and that her vicious attack would put me behind schedule. I don’t think she knew that even if I could find time to blog, I wasn’t inclined to do it with one hand. And in spite of our decorations, I don't think she even knew that Christmas was looming with all that entails.

I do think she knew that she had bitten (and clawed) the hand that feeds her – and sometimes gives her treats.

Our Kitten is named for a character in A Midsummer Night’s Dream; the character, Hermia, of whom it is said “though she be but little, she is fierce.”

Never was a kitten more aptly named.

So if I haven’t commented on your blog lately or if your Christmas card still hasn’t arrived, now you know why.

6 comments:

brismod said...

And a Merry Christmas to you too. I was hoping you'd be back - I've had a picture of Osama on my blog roll for far too long now! Your party house sounds fabulous.

Jayne said...

The party at your house sounds great--the cat bite, not so much. Ouch! I was bitten by my own cat a couple of years ago and nearly had to have surgery. I think The Kitten is truly remorseful.

NV said...

Oh, Why, that's horrible! OUCH!
BAD kitty ... but at least she apologized. :-)

Toby clawed me something fierce a year or so ago and for a day I thought it might need stitches. Took weeks to heal. And he didn't apologize, little creep!

Sounds like all your remodeling plans paid off big. I think 25 is probably the most we could get in our house without using a shoehorn, unless we had them both up and downstairs. Kudos!

TriPhi Kip said...

It was truly one of the best parties ever! We all had a great time and it never seemed too crowded in the house. OK, maybe when the cake was brought in but that was just because everyone crammed into the dining room. And the Peppermit Martinis were great! You and K are great hosts. Always have been! Love you guys!

Why S? said...

Brismod, the party was fabulous. I wish you could have been here.

Jayne and NV, after your own trouble with your own cats, were you asked what happened to the cat? I've been getting that question ever since - as if we'll show her the door just for being an animal. Crazy.

Kip, it's the guests that make a party. The birthday boy has great friends. We're just lucky enough to be among them. Thanks for making the trip West. It meant a lot to all of us.

modernemama said...

Stitches!!! The worst I had was 2 weeks antibiotics for a bite from a six week old kitten. We do wear fully body armor when we crate them though :)