Saturday, September 11, 2010

What Should Any of Us Do?

One hears all the time about how we are a “Christian” nation founded on “Christian” principles. One hears all the time about the “pilgrims” who came to this country seeking freedom from religious persecution.

One seldom hears how those same pilgrims were, in their home country, not exactly tolerant of the views of others. They were, in essence, religious fundamentalists.

Still, if we were, in fact, a truly Christian nation, we would know how to conduct our affairs at all times, because Christ’s early followers left very clear instructions on what he would have wanted.

He would have wanted us to treat each other how we would want to be treated. One must assume that means no torture, including water-boarding. One must also assume that means no imprisonment without trial. One must also assume that means no black site prisons.

One must also assume that means no threats to burn or dishonor the documents held to be holy by those of other faiths.

He would have wanted us to provide for each other, no matter how little we have. That means if we have people who are hungry, we feed them, even if the opposing party throws up their hands and says “but we can’t feed all these people! We only have five loaves and two fishes!” We feed them anyway and trust that there will be enough.

And if someone strikes at us, he would not want us to strike back but instead he would have said, “do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.

If we were a Christian nation, that is how we would conduct ourselves.

We would not start wars in foreign lands, no matter what attacks we had suffered.

We would not insult other religions in our own land.

We would NOT, ever, ever question the patriotism of those who, in fact, do conduct themselves as Jesus advised.

So don’t tell me again how we’re a Christian nation. I don’t want to have to hurt you.

And if you don't believe all this, you can read it here in his dad's own words. And this does apply to you, no exceptions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so using your logic if someone attacked you or your loved ones, you would not strike back or attempt to hurt them. you would offer them your other cheek. as it is with my Christian brothers and sisters sounds good but unrealistic if you wish to survive.

Why S? said...

Anonymous - it's not "my" logic. I didn't claim the philosophy is mine. I clearly cited the original source. So if you have a problem with the philosophy, you can take it up with the original source.

But in the meantime, don't tell me that we as a nation are naturally followers of that philosopher while conveniently ignoring that philosopher's philosophy.

NV said...

I'm with ya. I wrote a post for 9/11 and then didn't post it. Your anonymous poster makes me wish I had.

It's about the illogic of Islam becoming the new source of all things evil. Every group has their radicals. Even Christians. (Think KKK who are the farthest from Christians as I think you can get without being Satan himself.)

TriPhiKip said...

Excellent post Why! The ignorance of people never ceases to amaze me. As the 'Big Guy' says in the interview:

"I guess I figured I'd left no real room for confusion after putting it in a four-word sentence with one-syllable words, on the tablets I gave to Moses. How much more clear can I get?" Touche, God!

How sad that these rational words come from a satirical 'newspaper' while the actual media makes celebrities of the retards...

Interesting side story: NY1, the local 24 hour news station here in New York kept running a clip all weekend of a woman who was protesting the Islamic Cultural Center on Saturday and she was SCREAMING "How dare them build a mosque here! How dare them!" I was able to forgive her ignorance on WHAT she was protesting, she clearly had no thoughts of her own and was just regurgitating the swill fed her by the A-Holes using this for politcal gain.

But "How dare them"? THEM?!!! I wanted to break her fucking neck! She should have known better...

That'll teach her tolerance!

Yes, Sarah Palien and Anonymous, I said RETARDS! ;-)

Why S? said...

NV, I wish you had written that post. Now I'm curious . . .

Kip, that's a good story. That woman probably also supports English Only laws. They can have their English Only laws when they can all show a firm grasp of pronoun usage, correctly use their/there/they're 100 out of 100 times and articulate the difference between "less" and "fewer" in addition to correctly using each in a sentence no fewer than 10 times.

Until then, I don't want to hear a peep out of any of those morons about "English Only."